Interior Design Process and Services Available Through Our Sydney Office
If your initial interior design consultation happens in our Sydney offices, we follow it with an introductory in-home or office consultation, which allows us to form a deeper understanding of you and your lifestyle. An in-depth discussion follows; an opportunity for us to explore your ideas, your vision, and your expectations for your home or office. Finally, a personal survey of the space allows us to begin formulating timeframes and budgets, which we will discuss with you before leaving to begin compiling a detailed proposal that itemises every aspect of the project, along with a refined cost estimate for you to review and approve.
Planning and Artistry
The full creative and artistic genius of Mark Alexander is triggered by your acceptance of the design proposal, leading to hand-drawn concept sketches, along with examples of finishes and fabrics for each concept. Detailed project plans and schedules accompany this stage, and you are encouraged to collaborate and provide feedback at every stage as concepts are refined, and other aspects of the design project begin. We strive for absolute perfection on every project we work on, regardless of how big or small it is, but your involvement also ensures your ultimate satisfaction with every component of your design project. The first two stages in our design process involve some or all of the following steps:
- Consultation with you on architect plans for both new builds and renovations of existing spaces.
- Planning a complete design and furnishing of a new build.
- Extraordinary kitchen and bathroom designs.
- Expert advice and personal consultation on all interior selections and finishes.
- Detailed project schedules and plans.
- Hand-drawn concept sketches that are refined into to scale floorplan designs and layouts, supported by 2D elevation drawings and 3D interior renderings.
Mark Alexander’s hand-drawn concepts are refined before they are transformed from flat image to fully realised and tangible creations. The local and international craftsmen that manufacture all of your furniture are all masters in their trade, but Mark Alexander still personally manages all stages of manufacturing, along with carrying out critical quality control checks to ensure all specifications are correct. Progress photos and regular updates will be shared with you not only to ensure you are always briefed on the work but allowing you to collaborate and remain fully involved at all stages.
The production phase of your interior design project includes the following steps:
- Hand-sketched one-of-a-kind concepts are transformed into bespoke, luxury furniture pieces, unique to each project.
- The selection and use of high-quality solid timbers such as oak, walnut, mahogany, and European beech, along with exotic veneers like flame mahogany, burl walnut, and striking Macassar ebony.
- The finest artisans’ handcraft and hand carve our custom-made pieces, which can be gilded or polished in any colour finish or style.
- Final details include your selection of fabrics, with ranges from prestigious international and Australian fabric houses, and metal details in a variety of finishes from traditional brass, bronze, copper, and gold, through to reflective chrome and stainless steel.
Delivery and Fit Out
Mark Alexander’s vision becomes even more tangible in the final stage of your project. Following a final inspection of the finished product(s), delivery is coordinated so that the placement, fit out, and final styling of all the elements can happen, allowing you to enjoy and share your new pieces with family and friends. Preparations for the fit out, interior finishes, and decor begin and continue throughout the production phase, and could include:
- Expertly painted finishes, preparation of padded walls and wall panelling, and the hanging of wallpaper, all using the finest materials and methods possible.
- The making of classic and luxury window treatments such as curtains, drapery, decorative pelmets, and tiebacks.
- Bespoke accents including fireplaces, artwork, mirrors, rugs, carpeting, and timber, parquet, tiled, or marbled floors.
- Custom designed and made lighting from ceiling lights to lamps and wall sconces.
- Full consultation followed by the sourcing and supply of accessories and finishing items.
Mark Alexander Interior Design in Sydney is made up of a team with more than 30 years of experience planning, designing, and delivering luxury interiors and fine, handcrafted furniture to both residential and commercial clients throughout Australia and overseas. For Mark Alexander and his team, nothing matters more than creating sophisticated spaces that are a true representation of each client and deliver a custom, sensorial experience. We never view any project as too complex or too simple, too big, or too small, whether we are creating a single bespoke piece of furniture, or working on every aspect of a fine interior.